here's a full frontal:
these are two ikea lillangen high cabinets, arranged side-by-side.
we used to just have a laundry basket sitting under the hole in the ceiling. nothing i want guests (or our guest's children, this being the new playroom and all) seeing.
hole in the ceiling:
okay, so maybe this is more of a quasi-hack. it didn't take much to convert the lillangen to our needs.
when fish was assembling the lillangen cabinet...
...we realized we couldn't just leave the top off -- it was needed for stabilization. instead, he cut the middle out of the top square piece with his miter saw and screwed in the ends only, leaving a hole that lined up with the chute.
we did the same with an inner shelf right in the middle:
the two lillangen cabinets were an investment of around $220. really, we only needed one, but thought it would look stark by itself along that little expanse.
we were able to scoot the cabinet directly up against the wall since the legs are offset a bit and allow room for the baseboard molding.
we wanted it against the wall so fish could anchor it -- especially because it's in the playroom. it's not going anywhere.
the other side has shelves. we haven't decided if we'll use it for surplus laundry supplies or for extra storage in the playroom. or both.
still a lot of work to do, but coming along nicely. we're hoping to install closet shelves and transfer the toys this weekend. eeeee!