-->

Nov 12, 2013

merryDIY:
ultrasound snowglobe ornaments

<<< psst! you can see a full list of my diy projects here! >>>

[SNAPSHOT]
time : minutes
difficulty : ★ ★   ☆
hazards : messy, messy buffalo snow
would i do it again? : yes!


i knew i wanted to commemorate our pregnancy somehow this christmas and what better way to do it than with this miniature ultrasound snowglobe ornament?? i want to make one for K too, but i'm not sure where i put his ultrasounds...eeps...

these are super easy to make and will last a lifetime! i have visions of passing them on to K and the new baby when they have families of their own...

here's what you need!

first, i scanned our baby's ultrasound pictures into my computer and resized them to about one inch wide -- due to the narrow opening of my ornament. i printed two copies of each mini-ultrasound on plain typing paper (not cardstock -- too thick).
i used photoshop to resize my pictures, but you can also use a simple word processing program like microsoft word.

i trimmed each strip:
you can also use scissors.


next, i glued each duplicate strip back-to-back...so the ultrasound can be seen from the front and back of the ornament.

now, we must laminate. you'll see why in a few steps. i tend to favor the Poor Man's Laminating Method: clear packing tape on the front and back, sticky sides towards each other. :)

i trimmed the tape, leaving a small border around each strip:

ornament time. 
you can already see how messy buffalo snow is! i hadn't even opened the package yet, but flakes somehow got all over everything in the bag anyway.

i've used epsom salt as faux snow before -- most notably for my christmas car in a jar -- but i wasn't sure how salt would fare in the long run (if it would attract bugs, if it would degrade the pictures, etc, etc) so i played it safe and bought buffalo snow.

i tried using the ornament tray as a quasi-funnel -- it still got everywhere.

i filled the ornament about yay-high:

...then i squished my mini-ultrasound strips through the opening. this is why it's beneficial to "laminate" the pictures -- just plain paper would get all wrinkly and crinkly.

the finishing touch is a ribbon to hang it on our tree...but since we don't have our tree up yet, the ornament is patiently waiting for fish to haul my christmas bins up from the basement. :)

do you think you'll try making these ultrasound ornaments?

like this post? you may also be interested in these:
 Miniature House Snowglobe Ornament #DIY #Christmas | crab+fish christmas card garland #DIY | crab+fish

* mari


14 comments:

  1. That is so sweet :) Baby's sort of first Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously want to make one of these! And I love your poor man version of laminating. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love this idea. Definitely saving it for when we have a kid someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size ornament did you use? I found a disc glass ornament that is 2 5/8"? Will that be large enough to fit the sonogram inside? I love this idea and I am wanting to use it to announce my pregnancy to my family for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany, the ornaments I used were about 4" in diameter. You *could* use 2-5/8" ornaments, but the ultrasounds would have to be printed a bit smaller in order to fit inside. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

      Delete
  5. help! I cannot figure out how to make my pictures small width wise! :( I'm trying to print them now and have tried several different programs but they either come out pix-elated or big. Can you do a run through for me? I have microsoft works word processor, paint, picasa 3. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, I'm not sure of the exact steps in other programs as I used Photoshop but once you scan your ultrasound into your computer and open it in your desired program, you should be able to maneuver the corners to shrink your photo. it shouldn't become pixelated from shrinking, especially since the size you need is much smaller than the actual ultrasound. If you know anyone with photoshop, I can explain what I did -- it's very straightforward. Are you scanning your ultrasound into your computer? Maybe check those quality settings to see what resolution your uploading the photo with. good luck! I wish I could be more help.

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Im in the middle of making these now and my ornaments are 100mm, any ideas on dimensions of photos. I thought I had it but my photos wont stand.(really driving me crazy) any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the ornaments from? Super cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it , if you go to Michaes craft store its a pack of 6 glass ones for 4.99 but they are between 60-70% off i paid $1.91 for my pack also dollar tree sells them for a dollar but they are plastic and not in a pack

      Delete
  8. Help!! I am using a 6-8" plastic round ornament and my pics are 2x2 laminated in 3 strips of 2 (6 total pics)... I used white feathers on the bottom instead of snow... Can you help me figure out how to make the pics stand up and stay??? They just want to lay down.. Making this memorial for my daughter. My grandson was born and Angel at 23 weeks. (Stillborn) His funeral was on Tuesday and I thought this would be a great memorial ornament to give out to the whole family to remember baby Easton. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete