-->

Sep 21, 2013

DIY: home state art

<<< you can see a full list of my diy projects here! >>>

[SNAPSHOT]
time : minutes
difficulty  ★ ☆ ☆ ☆   
hazards : sharp blade + squiggly lines!
would i do it again? : yes


our entry has featured two lone pieces of art for a few months now. i knew i wanted to add more, but i liked how the two looked together so i wasn't in a rush. 

when i saw this home state art by the effortless chic, i knew it would be the perfect addition to my little grouping.

it's very similar to my personalized paper-cut house.

here's what you need to make your own home state art:

p.s. i scored that beautiful frame at the salvation army!

first things first: google image search your state...
but print the reverse image.

tape your reverse cut-out to the back of your pretty paper:

use your craft blade to cut around the state:
press down on the blade hard so that it pierces both your template and the glittery paper underneath.

sigh. it's times like these i wish we had emotional attachments to utah.

glue your pretty state cut-out to the background paper.

frame it.

here it is in our entry:

easy enough, right?
will you be trying this one?

* mari
www.dickblick.com

11 comments:

  1. that looks great- you should look into getting a silhouette cutting machine to cut that and other stuff like that !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kelly! i've definitely thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet... :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to do some kind of state art for awhile - this reminds me to put it back on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if only we lived in a squiggle-free state.... :)

      Delete
  3. Haha~ I so would have been cursing the state of Illinois as I was cutting it out. Love that! So true, the crafty peeps in Utah have it easy, geez! Saw this a while back when you posted and meant to stop by and tell you I love it. I have a state print I bought off Etsy that I adore but your glittery one is pretty darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - especially your glittery version! And I lol'd at your squiggle IL pic vs Utah :)

    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illinois here too, at least where hubby grew HP & where we live. I was born in KS. Thinking a shout out to home with red glitter paper and blue and white gingham print would be sweet. My grandmother, sister and mother-in-law are all named Dorothy tho one went by Dot, one by Dort and my sis uses The whole thing! Being Dorothy from KS is not easy..She lives in Canada now! LOL THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.