-->

Mar 9, 2013

repurposed floor grate
becomes washi tape storage

i've often dreamt of a day when my washi tape collection was this organized:

i can't believe the day has finally come.
it's perfect.

there's so many people i need to thank...

i saw jennifer's upcycling of a coffee mug tree into a washi tape organizer on {delightfully noted} last week -- and i was inspired to go looking for my own little mug tree to help corral my ever-expanding supply of washi tape.


thank you, jennifer, for the organizing inspiration.

i went thrifting the next day, focused on my mission.

...and i almost walked right by this old wooden floor grate:

thank you, random stranger, for donating your beautiful old grate
instead of tossing it in the trash.

i normally would have stopped to admire it then moved on...
but i had washi tape storage on my mind -- and this:


...THIS...


...would be PERFECT.

of course i bought it.
thank you, resale shop, for not letting anyone else snatch it up before i got there.

did i mention how large it is??

i started filling her up with my pretties:

the tape rolls extend the perfect amount past the edge -- 
they're easy to grab in an emergency crafting situation:


the width between the grate slats is pretty narrow, which prevents the rolls from falling off the back of the "shelves." 

thank you, old wood floor grate maker,
for crafting such a fine piece of organizational perfection.

...and there you have it!


if you have lots of washi tape like me, keep your eyes peeled for one of these old floor grate covers! it will change your life.

curious about what i've done with my washi tape?
click on whatever piques your interest!
 

* mari
guess what??
my washi tape storage was featured on eighteen25!

Craftsy

24 comments:

  1. That is a work of art!!! If that picture doesn't go crazy all over Pinterest, I'd be surprised!! The old wood and the bright colors are beautiful!!

    A perfect example of the why thrifting is so darn fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, laura! yes, luckily i had washi tape storage on my mind, otherwise i fear i would have left it behind.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Laura 100%, mixing vintage w/ fun bright colors is always a win! And I must say your washi tape collection is pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, hilary! my washi tape collection is impressive?.......or embarrassing? haha! i just can't seem to stop buying all the pretty patterns and colors.

      Delete
  3. OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! I feel like I have died and gone to washi tape organization heaven!! I'm glad my little ol' cup tree inspired you to stumble upon this magnificent thing but now you've inspired me to keep an eye out for one of these AND to bulk up my puny supply of tape. Wow! What a collection you have and it so purrrrty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I actually didn't realize quite how large my collection was until I started filling this floor grate up. At least I don't have any duplicates. It's just so easy to buy a pretty color or pattern when they're so cheap per roll...however, I justify the large collection by doing a lot of washi tape crafts. :) :)

      Delete
  4. This looks wonderful and the idea is perfect! I love it because it doesn't only come handy to organize, but also looks good as decoration!

    P.S.: I love how your blog looks now! I've been reading it since you started and I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, i feel so honored to have such a long-time reader! you've made my week, honestly. :) :) yes, i'm working towards a clean-lined design, little by little. gosh, have you been visiting every day, noticing small changes i've made here and there and thinking i'm completely NUTS? haha...

      i have also started visiting old posts and re-editing pictures when i can ((some of the pictures were accidentally deleted forever, sad face)). i can't believe how much i've learned about photo-editing in just a year.

      thanks for being a loyal reader! :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THIS! Ok, admittedly, I don't have any washi tape, I've never used washi tape, but now after seeing this I want to go out and buy some and find an AWESOME wooden grate and just have this setting out because of how organized and pretty it looks! Great job on your find and organizing skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, betty bee! washi tape is a slippery slope, but an extremely versatile supply in my crafting arsenal. go for it! :) :)

      Delete
  6. Love this! Useful and beautiful! I included it in my storage roundup...so happy to have found it on Pinterest :) http://www.craftingintherain.com/2013/02/washi-tape-storage-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much steph -- i appreciate the shout out! :)

      Delete
  7. This is amazing!! what a fun find! #lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M e r a v i g l i o s o ! ! ! Chissà se qui in Italia troverò qualcosa così...?!? Complimenti per l'idea e per la stupenda collezione di washi...anche io non so resistere ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I wonder if I'll find something like that here in Italy ...?? compliments for the idea and for the wonderful collection of washi ... even I can not resist"

      thank you ciacchina! :)

      Delete
  9. Great find! Can't believe how perfect the slot size is for washi tapes.
    Love the contrast between the wood and the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that i see your awsome washi storage. I am determined to find something great for me. thanks for the inspiration. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and good luck in your hunt! i'd love to see what you dig up! :)

      Delete
  11. This is simply genius!! I also laughed fairly loud when you referred to using washi-tape in a crisis. Hey I'm sure they'd make really pretty band-aids in a pinch am-i-right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so nice, seriously I want this too, I need this! :D
    And your Washi's are great, nice patterns, nice colors! :)

    ReplyDelete