-->

Jan 5, 2013

fresh flowers

psst! you can read about me deciding to join the january cure here!

i was very excited about one of this weekend's assignments for apartment therapy's january cure: buy flowers. 


i've always wanted to be the kind of person that brings home fresh flowers from the market, but i've never followed through. why?? it just always seemed like a waste of money when it came down to it -- buying stems that would be tossed in a few days time. i'd rather buy potted plants...that would hypothetically last under anyone else's care but mine.

but, after reading this snippet, i was inspired to go for it. even if i eventually decide it is a waste of money, at least i'll know.


TO THE FLOWER SHOP!

wait, no, scratch that. first, i went to trader joe's. their flower section right at the entrance always cheers me and i thought for sure i'd find just what i was looking for. however, i didn't want to buy a ready-made bouquet...and they had only a small selection of stems. while i didn't swoon over any of the flowers, i did fall in love with some fresh eucalyptus branches -- they came home with me!

K even got in the spirit and placed some primrose in our cart:

the first actual florist i visited was kind of a letdown. the worker kept asking me what kind of vase i'd be putting my flowers in. she said the type of container -- short or tall, simple or ornate -- would determine what flower to choose that would complement it. 

although i understand her reasoning...i thought it was completely backward. i wanted to walk in to her shop and be inspired by the flowers. my plan was to buy whatever bloom struck my fancy and figure out the vase aspect when i got home.

so...she was kind of a buzzkill.

the next florist i went to is one i drive by several times a week -- their "fresh flowers" sign always tempts me. i was not disappointed. the woman that greeted me was happy and helpful...and not at all pushy or preachy.

these are the beauties I came home with:

buying -- or even just browsing! -- fresh flowers is beneficial for me because i want to finally learn the names of different blooms. i adore flowers, yet the only ones i can name are orchids and tulips. and cyclamen. and roses. 
   okay, that's really all i know.

today i discovered: although i love the delicate beauty of orchids and the proud look of tulips...i'm more drawn to simple, wildflower-like blooms instead of the showiness of something like lilies. 

i bought one stem of each of the following -- i didn't want to get overwhelmed on my first try!
ah, you had me at "lemon" -- what perfect, beautiful leaves!

my goal was to combine the dianthus, white button chrysanthemums, and salal from the florist with the eucalyptus from trader joe's to create a small burst of a bouquet. i didn't want anything structured or too planned out.

this is what i ended up with:

arranging flowers is a lot harder than it seems...but i think it looks decent for my first crack at it. i wish i would have left the chrysanthemum stems longer, so they could have poked up and out from the middle of the dianthus.
   maybe i should try trimming the dianthus shorter?

i love the alternating leaf pattern of the eucalyptus branches!

the non-flowering eucalyptus was definitely my favorite purchase today!
...and it went waaay further than i was expecting:
p.s. am i supposed to prune the eucalyptus leaves that fall below the water line??

head count: one laaarge bouquet and two smaller bunches of just eucalyptus branches, my cheerful arrangement of flowers, and the potted primrose K picked out.

all this cost me about $10. not bad! BUT $10 x 52 weeks...i don't think i'm quite yet willing to spend $520 a year on flowers. i'm not sure this will be a weekly splurge, but i do hope to buy fresh flowers on a regular basis now.

i do agree with maxwell in the above quote: even just this one tiny bouquet definitely adds beauty and personality and a great burst of color to our home.

unfortunately, the fun flower-buying portion of the weekend tasks is complete. now, i'm off to mop the floors.

BLLLLLLEEEEAAAAHHHHHH...

* mari

psst! read about my next flower-buying experience here!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so gorgeous! I always told myself the same thing that I would always have fresh flowers in the house. Of course, like you I could never convince myself they were worth the money BUT now that I see how aesthetically pleasing yours look I just may have to splurge on some every once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you should! and really, just the act of browsing the flower shop was so uplifting to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.