<<< psst! you can see a full list of my diy projects here! >>>[SNAPSHOT]
see our giant ruler growth chart featured on disney's spoonful.com!
time : minutes...hours
difficulty : ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
hazards : headache from stain fumes, frustration at inability to draw straight line
would i do it again? : yes!
this giant ruler growth chart was fun and easy to do. best of all -- since we don't think this will be our forever-house -- we can take it with us wherever we move!
...but NOW i've got to get hopping on painting the upstairs hallway before i can hang it. just another thing to add to my to-do list...urg!
> 6' x 6" x 1" board
...or whatever tall, thin piece of ruler-esque lumber you have laying around!
> sandpaper: 220- and 120-grit
> stain: we used minwax golden pecan
> ruler or measuring tape
> paint pen
> number stencils: i used 2" stencils
> scotch tape
> black acrylic paint
> paintbrush or stencil brush
01. sand the board: we first used 220-grit, then followed with 120-grit.
02. wipe the board down to remove any residual dust from sanding.
03. stain: we did two coats of minwax golden pecan. each layer was left on for 15min before wiping down.
04. use a ruler and pencil to mark 1" increments up the left side of the board. i started at 6" because i planned to hang the board 6" from the floor.
i imitated an actual ruler in that the quarter-foot marks (3", 6", 9") are a bit longer. i made each foot marker the longest.
05. trace over the pencil marks with a paint pen. i went over them again after they dried to make them nice and dark.
06. scotch tape the number stencils next to each corresponding foot marker.
07. using your brush, dab the paint over each stencil.
remove stencils, let dry, and...TA-DA!
be sure to let me know if this inspired you to make a growth chart - i love to see the tweaks people put on their own diy projects!
p.s. we finally hung our growth chart!
you can see the post about it here!
take a look at how fantastic rachel's ruler growth chart turned out!